Enjoy the book Well-being and Success for University Students
To cite: Koci, J., Donaldson, S. I. (2024). Well-being and Success of University Students: Applying PERMA+4. New York, NY: Routledge. 250 pages. First Edition. ISBN: ISBN 9781032457208; DOI: 10.4324/9781003378365
Use the code WBS20
for 20% off
Why to have Your Well-being and Success for University Students Book:
Dear students, dear colleagues, my dear friends.
I am happy to share with you the book Well-being and Success for University Students I wrote from the bottom of my heart just for you. You are the creator of your good life and you can make the journey of building your well-being fun, enjoyable and rewarding. May the book serve you to get to know yourself deeper, to enjoy your life from moment to moment and to be-well!
What can you find in the book? You will be introduced to an evidenced based framework for enhancing well-being and positive functioning, including academic performance. The book emphasizes practical applications of findings from the best available research to have students learn several steps they can take to strengthen their well-being and academic performance. Individual chapters talk about popular topics of positive psychology such as students’ positive emotions, students’ engagement, students’ relationships, students’ meaning, students’ achievement, students’ physical health, students’ mindset, students’ environment and students’ economic security.
Each chapter summarizes the knowledge on specific topic, invites students to self-assess their well-being in the particular life domain and encourage them to explore and try activities and evidence based interventions supporting their learning in how to care for their own well-being. The book is a fun and entertaining guide for students but also serves as a useful tool for professors seeking to enhance their courses and programs with well-being promotion, as well as for Student Wellness Centers across this world.
Abstracts of the Individual Chapters
1. What actually is well-being to you? How can be a good mental health beneficial to university students and what can you do to not only increase your life satisfaction but also to support your academic success? This chapter will answer all these questions and will prepare you to care for your well-being in your unique beautiful way. Well-being represents a good life. Well-being is measurable and even though it fluctuates over time, there are certain areas of our lives that help us to generate our happiness. Such areas of our lives can be built and cared for. Are you ready to explore your well-being on a deeper level in a fun and entertaining way? See you there!
2. We all enjoy feeling good and seek moments of excitement, joy and happiness. But did you know that positive emotions serve us by much more than just making us feel good? Let’s learn together about the great potential of positive emotions and let’s explore what can you do to generate more joy in your everyday life. This chapter will provide you not only with theory behind emotions, the importance of positivity but it will also invite you to try some evidence-based activities to see what might work for you to experience more positive emotions as you go through your days. Enjoy :-)
3. Do you often find yourself to be bored? Or anxious? And how about being somewhere in the middle? Experiencing engagement and even flow? We all understand from our own experience, that engagement is one of the essential building blocks generating our well-being. But how can we experience more of presence, joy of doing and being one with the activity we do? One of the things that can be very useful is to reflect and to think about your personal engagement strengths. Understanding the importance of engagement for your well-being, you will have an opportunity to assess your engagement strengths and to learn evidence-based tips on how to eliminate destructions and boost your engagement. Let’s get engaged together!
4. As Chris Peterson once said, other people matter. Period. It has been proven that the quality of our relationships can positively influence every aspect of our well-being. In fact, the longest scientific study on happiness (more than 80 years) conducted by Harvard University researchers clearly shows that positive relationships keep us healthier and happier (Waldinger & Schulz, 2023). Science has come to a realization that caring, loving and respectful relationships are as important for our health and well-being as our diet, exercise or environment we live in. In this chapter, you and I will learn the social skills that will help you to build you high-quality relationships at home, at school, at work, and in your community. We are in this together!
5. Did you know, that a strong sense of meaning and purpose can motivate you and help you generate the determination to fulfil your school-related goals? And did you know that students who see meaning in what they do not only experience success more often, but they also experience better well-being and show more resiliency in times of discomfort? This chapter will discuss the science of meaning and will help you reflect on you purpose. Presented activities will help you to increase your happiness and your ability to flourish in your everyday life. Let’s reveal and reflect your meaning in life right now!
6. Do you follow your passion? And do you refuse to give up when things get hard? This chapter will focus on the power of passion and perseverance and you will learn how to be “grittier”. But more importantly, you will have a chance to think about how you can use your personal superpowers in your daily life to experience greater study and life satisfaction, more fulfilling engagement and more meaningful study experience. You say that you don’t have any superpowers? Well, you do. And the science of positive psychology will help you to recognize them, to cultivate them and to apply them in your everyday life. Are you ready to share your superpowers with the world?
7. Building our physical health, day by day, is probably one of the best investments we can do for ourselves and for our vitality. There are a few simple guidelines and approaches to follow to maintain our health resources, that can significantly increase the quality of our lives and can leave us feel really good. This chapter focuses on simple yet important general physical health recommendations on adequate body movement, good body posture, optimal nutrition, high quality sleep, regular relaxation, proper breathing and avoidance of risky behaviour. You will have a chance to try on evidence-based activities supporting your physical health in a very complex way, that will make you to enjoy the process of caring for yourself. Your body will thank you!
8. Whether you believe you can or you can't you're right. Have you ever thought of how true this statement by Henry Ford is? And have you ever reflected on how well your mindset serves you? Mindset can be understood as the way our mind is set when it comes to our assumptions, beliefs, expectations, explanations, and goals. This chapter not only provides you the space to reflect on your personal mindset but it also discusses the importance of developing a growth mindset. This chapter will offer you tips on how to cultivate mindsets that serve you and how to change the way your mind works, if you decide that you can use a better way of thinking. Ready? (MIND)Set, go!
9. First, you can create and craft your desired environment, than your healthy environment will create you. High-quality environment is essential for good living conditions. Choosing and co-creating good living environment can greatly impact your health and well-being. Healthy, joyful, and functional environments allow us to live our daily lives peacefully and they help to fulfil our basic needs. Positive environments make us feel safe, allow us to adopt healthy behaviours, they make us feel welcome, included, and connected to others. As a result, we can be creative, we can fully engage in learning, in our work and in our hobbies. They also allow us to rest, recreate and regenerate. So what do you think. Will you invest some time and energy to craft your environments so they serve you better? I bet you are!
10. Money does not buy happiness. We all know that. But we all also understand, that economic security is a significant contributor to our well-being. This chapter focuses on how you can take any opportunity to increase your financial literacy, manage your finances, set goals for satisfactory income, save money, to make move once you feel like you can invest some of your resources, and think of strategies on how to get access to quality health care. You cannot buy your happiness but you can certainly learn how to build your economic security to boost your overall well-being and quality of life. This chapter is here to help you and as you will learn, there is a lot you can do to feel better more economically secured right today!